A fleece poncho is a quick and easy garment to make. It will keep you warm for those cold winter months best of all, this project can be completed within an hour. You can style it up by adding your own details, embellishments and fringe. A fleece poncho is a fabulous garment that you can create for family and friends! They also make perfect gifts! Here I have instructions created for both adults and girls.
Fabrics and Supplies needed:
2 yards of fleece ( you will be able to make 2 ponchos)
Sew it Up:
- Cut fleece in half length wise. Using a rotary cutter, square up all sides. Rectangle should be 28” x 70”. Use other rectangle for another project.
- Fold rectangle in half, right sides together matching short ends.
- To form neck opening and shoulder seam: starting 16” from fold and with a ½” seam allowance, stitch together along one long edge for 8”. The rest of the edge will remain open.
- Turn fabric right sides out.
- Add your embellishments, details and accents to the fabric.
To create a girls poncho:
You will need 1 yd of fabric. (Use the other triangle.)
- Cut fleece fabric 23” x 45”
- Follow the above instructions.
- For step 3 instead of starting from 16” from fold (adult) start at 10 inches (girls)
To create fringe:
- Using a rotary cutter and ruler (try using Fringe Cut Slotted Ruler or Funky N Fun Ruler for better guidance) , cut fringe ½” wide by 3 inches long down length of poncho, beginning at the top seam. Cut through both layers of fabric until you have reached the bottom edge.
Decorate your poncho with applique, beadings, or add your own special details